Monday 12 September 2016

Reading 'Broken Soup'

Hi friends,

I promised myself and you that this post would be about my school teachers. My apologies.This post would be about a novel I read yesterday.I went to book fair on Tamukkam ground last Saturday.It was nice to see a reasonably large crowd.

I bought a novel called 'Broken Soup' by Jenny Valentine.I had no idea what I had in store for.




The narrator is Rowan Clarke,a 15 year old girl. The story takes place in London.Two years back, Rowan was a typical teenage girl who had a normal family with her elder brother Jake and younger sister Stroma and parents who were happy with each other.

It all fell apart when Jake had died by drowing in a lake in France where he went for one month vacation.Rowan's dad moved out of their home after a fight with his wife. Her mom sank into depression that consisted of not talking to anybody else in home and walking like  zombie.

Rowan starts to look after both her mom and her six year old sister Stroma.
Rowan lies to her dad about mom's condition and he is blissfully unaware of the fact that his 15 year old daughter is taking care of the family alone.

Rowan meets a 18 year old American boy Harper who gives her a negative photo claiming she has dropped it.Bee, a school mate of Rowan takes interest in the negative and when they both develop it,it ends up showing the smiling face of Jake.

Rowan is confused about the coincidence.She is pretty sure she doesn't own it.Rowan starts spending time with both Harper who he starts fancying and Bee who becomes her best friend. Then Rowan finds a sea post card from Jake to Bee just 2 days before his death!!! Bee was Jake's girlfriend??What is the mystery of Bee's brother Sonny??

Okay,story time over. You have to read the story for the twists after that.(Or wikipedia it)

I happened to travel some four hours yesterday and I finished the novel.I actually abandoned it twice in midway because the angst was too much for me to bear.

The tragedy of losing a sibling and the depression and his memories was written in too much detail that you would start feeling the hollowness too.

I finished it because I wanted to know weather Rowan was okay in the end.The only thing I cant believe that she would lie to her father about her mom's condition for 2 years!!!

Rowan was mature and responsible for her age and I rooted for her till the end and poor Bee!!!

One of my sad reads but sometimes they are good too, like a sad melody!!!

1 comment:

  1. ha ha..it happens.. I too had many experiences like this.. durjoy datta's novels.And in initial days, in our library used to read all women writers novels.. (Ramani chandran,Siva Sankari,anuradha etc, after reading 5-6 novels you will know how the other stories would be, but there were lot of ladies who will be looking for their novels and will be happily renewing them. Taste differs :)

    ReplyDelete